List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Alan Cox <alan () cymru ! net>
Date:       1998-04-07 23:35:04

> The LGPL however allows you to take the same piece of code, modify it
> and pass it on but restrict the rights of the next goy.
> If this were the case with the Linux Kernel then Version 2.2.0 might
> be the kernel for Windows NT 6.0
> Fortunately it is GPL so Microsoft has to WORK.

LGPL is a limited set of extra rights for interfacing in a controlled manner
nothing more. And yes it would allow commercial use of FreeQT but the gain
is those commercial users have to allow you to swap the LGPL parts of the
program so you get commercial stuff you can at least partially fix

Which is better.. I guess it depends on goals, personal belief and aims