List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Motif Loophole
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! EDU ! AU>
Date:       1998-04-07 9:16:13

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:
[snip]
> There is already a ton of GPL software written for Motif.  Why KDE was
> seen as a problem is that if it became the default desktop in a short
> time 1/2 the hot software for Linux would be written in QT.

Of this I am aware, but the concern I was trying to address was

-> Writing GPL Motif programs is ok, because LessTiff exists.
-> Writing GPL Qt programs should be ok, because Harmony exists.

The only difference, to me, seems that Harmony is less complete than
LessTiff, which seems to be a side issue given the fact that LessTiff is
NOT an identical replacement for Motif.

Hence Qt should be able to slip through the crack through which Motif has
slipped.

Is this reasoning incorrect?

-Taj.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
School of Physics    Univ of Melbourne   The KDE is KNOT a Window Manager.