List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Motif Loophole
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-04-07 4:59:27

Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I see it, it becomes ok to link GPL programs with Motif given the mere
> existence of Lesstif, regardless of whether or not Lesstif works exactly
> the same as Motif (it doesn't and probably never will, given bug
> compatibility etc).
>
> So does the mere existence of the Harmony project (given a 10-minute-hack
> object module which defines a couple of QT symbols) make it legal to link
> GPL programs with Qt?
>
> The whole "viable free alternative" thing seems to be a very grey area.

There is already a ton of GPL software written for Motif.  Why KDE was
seen as a problem is that if it became the default desktop in a short
time 1/2 the hot software for Linux would be written in QT.
This would be nice until somebody got scared and decided to buy Troll
Tech and cripple Linux by killing QT.  The mear existence of FreeQt
makes that irrelevant, but the old cure will still not use KDE because
GNOME is so much better :)
--
A computer without Windows 95 and Internet Explorer is likea piece of
chocolate cake without Catsup and Mustard.