List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-04-07 1:36:39

Bernd Gehrmann wrote:

> Kevin Forge <forgeltd@usa.net> writes:
> > Harmony has the right motives.  And using a GPL rather than the more
> > Liberal LGPL would protect KDE from Troll Techs possible demise without
> > hurting Troll Tech.
>
> No. It is not possible to link GPL code with very much free code under
> different licenses. For example, it would not be possible to port Netscape
> to Harmony.

Is there a need to port Netscape to Harmony ?
GPLd code can only be used to build GPL software, it's that simple.
This is why no one has been able to sell the Linux Kernel without
those Legendary 5 -> 10 Meg linux-*.*.*.tgz files.
This is WHY the GPL was invented.  The LGPL was designed to let you
take a piece of LGPL code then build on it and sell it as binary without
the Source and with a Per-CPU license.  I don't love commercial
developers
enough to screw one of the few that has been nice to ME in order to help
them.

--
A computer without Windows 95 and Internet Explorer is likea piece of
chocolate cake without Catsup and Mustard.