List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! EDU ! AU>
Date:       1998-04-06 15:41:01

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
[snip]
> > Mr Torvalds doesn't distribute OSs, he distributes kernels. I thought the
> > FSF said that themselves.
>
> He distributes the base product. Take that to a lawyer too if you don't
> believe me.

My head hurts. Does that mean that

1. ... now that X11 belongs to The Open Group (and is not under GPL), it
is no longer "correct" to link with libX11? Linus doesn't ship that in his
tarballs either.

2. ... legally speaking, all that "GNU/Linux is the OS" stuff was smoke
and mirrors?

-Taj.

PS. I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, I'm just very confused.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
School of Physics    Univ of Melbourne   The KDE is KNOT a Window Manager.