List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-04-05 12:29:15

Alex wrote:

> Yes, but look at the comercial contributions to the Unix world.  For
> instance Soft Updates for those BSD types.  Kirk took HIS time and HIS
> effort to write some code to greatly enhance FFS and it's speed and
> saftey, while keeping it free for individuals, while asking for money for
> those people making money off of his effort.  To me that's only fair.  And
> look at RPM's contributions.  Hell, recently discussed was a certian
> member of a certian OS's development team trying to rescind the copyright
> on free software they've written.  Don't think it's not possible for that
> to happen to GPL'd software.  If the code has never been notarized, or
> passed through a legal type, the copyright doesn't mean much at all.  Hmm.
> Not to mention that IF IF IF the Trolls decided to make Qt completely non
> free, that I'm sure by then there would be a GPL'd derivitave of sorts.

There is already a derivative in erly development.  FreeQT,
This debate is started because a few people have seen where the LGPL
would hurt Troll Tech.  This is not a good thing.

> > Moreover, they are  the cause of the gnome/kde  split. This a terrible
> > waste of human resources.
>
> Well, I think that it was the "die-hard" GNU types that caused the split.
> If they were that unwilling to accept TT's very GENEROUS license, then
> that's their problem.  Not TT's.

We can debate to the end of time who's fault it is.  The fact is that
KDE is ready for prime time TODAY.  GNOME may go BETA in erly 1999.

--
A computer without Windows 95 and Internet Explorer is likea piece of
chocolate cake without Catsup and Mustard.