List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-04-05 13:13:31

Alan Cox wrote:

> > Bleh.  The GPL is not a panacea, never has been, never will be.  It
> > doesn't guarantee much if the people behind it aren't trustworthy.  This
>
> I think you are mistaken.

If he was then the LGPL would never have been written.  There are times
when the GPL is not the right solution.  For FreeQT / Harmony it is.

> > is not to mention, the TT license is VERY fair.  It specifically allows
> > for you to develop software freely based on Qt, as long as your source is
> > freely available.  Sure it prevents you from distributing modified
>
> The GPL cannot be combined with Qt. Full stop end of story, consult a lawyer
> if you doubt me. The Qt library is not as free or freer than the GPL nor
> is it shipped with the base OS product from Mr Linus Torvalds as you may
> verify by inspection of his tar files.
>
> > Yes, and a RedHat developer could throw a fit, and revoke any GPL'd
> > software they've written.  I think KDE needs to be saved from people who

It's not that easy.  for the License on a GPLd program to change
everyone
with a line of code in there has to agree.  This is why the Kernel
will Always be GPLd.  There are 1000s of programers involved.  If
1 of them wants to stay GPL the Kernel stays GPL.  This also applies
to RPM and some other RedHat tools.

> Nope. I think before you sound off you should take a course in intellectual
> property law. You cannot revoke a granted license unless the license itself
> grants the right to do so. Yes a GPL product author can take those
> components he/she wrote and release new versions on other licenses, but they
> can never harm or hinder or restrict and retract licenses already granted.

Exactly why QT is not dangerus.  We can use the same QT for years if
Troll Tech were to change the Licens on future versions.

> This helps protect KDE too. Even if the author of say kproject was to go
> commercial the existing version is still GPL'd and safe forever and the GPL
> ensures it can be enhanced.
>
> > Plenty of people sell free software CDs.  How many people only sell free
> > software? Not RedHat. And how many developers of free software make money
>
> Red Hat has several CD's of only free software, there are people who
> sell CD's of only the free parts of the Red Hat base, there are people who
> sell Linux consulting working on GPL code.

Note the word *ONLY* in the line to which you are replying.
RedHat has a large and Divers product line.  Correct me if I am wrong
but as far as I know among the biggest money makers for Them is the
AplixWare Office suite.  They also sell WordPerfect, Motif and
Star Office Plus a zillion other commercial products.  The Margins
are better on free software, but the price is higher on commercial
stuff.  I am willing to bet that RedHat makes more money off Commercial
Software than free Software ... Even with Linux as the Primary
product.

> > off their free software?  I rest my case.
> Lots. Perhaps you'd care to talk to Cygnus solutions for example.

How MUCH money dos Cygnos make ?  Do the do it by selling a GPLd
Library ?

> A fanatic is alays trapped in good/evil win/lose. If you have any doubts
> about commercial backing of Linux take a look at the netscape decisions on
> making Linux a primary platform.

That's because Linux has a reputation for not biting Commercial
developers.
If we keep that reputation more will come.  If we cripple Troll Tech
many
will run.
BTW : Speaking of Netscape.  Linux had to become the primary platform
for the Open Source concept to work.  After all most free Software
developers work on and in Linux.

> >From the non GPL point of view there is only one thing important - that
> the KDE/Gnome/Whatever toolkits are LGPL not GPL so that picking an
> interface doesn't force application providers who follow the interface to
> be GPL'd. Here KDE is currently weak on two points 1) It has a non
> LGPL internationalisation library. 2) it currently requires Qt. In effect
> the choice of Qt alone forces commercial vendors to pay a 'troll tech tax'
> which if anything will discourage them from using KDE. Once you have
> Harmony/FreeQt the vendors and users can choose - I don't doubt some people
> would find a commercially supported Qt attractive.
>
> What was effectively the 'motif tax' is one of the things that helped damage
> commercial unix software in the past. It would be very sad to repeat it in
> KDE.

The Problem with Motif is that it had a Per user License.  QT dose not.
It's strictly a developers bill.  $ 1,500 per developer and and $0 per
user means that QT is cheaper for anybody selling >10 copies of a
commercial
program.  If the Original QT was GPLd Troll Tech would not have a
possibility
of making money off it at all.
My question is ; Since we all know that an LGPLd FreeQT would destroy
Troll
Tech's income while a GPLd FreeQT would not What do we loose by making
FreeQT
a strictly GPL product rather than LGPL ?

--
A computer without Windows 95 and Internet Explorer is likea piece of
chocolate cake without Catsup and Mustard.