List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Change ?
From:       Alan Cox <alan () cymru ! net>
Date:       1998-03-10 13:35:10

> > Not accurate. Firstly C++ is not a good object oriented language (hey it
> > works tho sort of),
>
> hmm... sure it's better than C as an OO-language !     °oO8-)

The Linux kernel is object oriented and written in C 8)

> I'm afraid Gtk is closer to XForms than to Qt.
> (sorry, I didn't have the time to really try Gtk, just had
> a look at the source code from The Gimp... :-> ).

Gnome/Gtk is more like X programming than Qt's very definite heirarchy of
objects by overloading.. anyway thats an off topic discussion

> First they tell they will never make a complete clone of Qt.I was told there are
> 30 000 lines of code in Qt. It's big.

wc -l the Harmony code ;)

> Secondly, I think you are right, but *why* did the Gnome
> team decided to clone KDE instead of cloning Qt ?

They felt it was the easier approach to take. Im still undecided if they
were right and only time will tell. Cloning Qt would IMHO have been a better
path which is why the FreeQt project offers such huge potential.

Alan