List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Change ?
From:       Alan Cox <alan () cymru ! net>
Date:       1998-03-10 11:25:55

> The main point, IMHO, is that when you want to code an object-oriented GUI,you
> better have to code with an object-oriented language and to use
> object-oriented librairies. KDE/Qt (C++) does. Gnome/Gtk doesn't, and
> will never.

Not accurate. Firstly C++ is not a good object oriented language (hey it
works tho sort of), secondly there is a lot object based work going on in
Gtk/Gnome and C++ bindings that (not suprisingly for KDE people 8)) folks
keep finding are easy to use for a GUI app.

> > KDE will probably come off worst. I mean, Redhat, Debian and Slackware are
> > all behind Gnome - Debian's donating cash to them and Redhat's Advanced
> > Development Labs are helping with the coding - whereas as far as I'm aware
> > Suse is the only big distribution backing KDE and that's not widely
> > available in America and the UK.
>
> There are a few new projects arriving. I'm preparing a new distribution too,
> based upon KDE.  It's not because the big ones of today support Gnome/Gtk
> that they are  right !

Having KDE versus Gnome means everyone loses. Gnome has one real strength
- its not using any proprietary components. FreeQT/Harmony solves that
once done. In pretty much all other areas right now KDE is the better item.

> If you want to modify the source from Qt, you just can use
> the C++ inheritance mechanisms and overcharge the method definitions.

and pray they are something you can fix. Mind you I had pondered if the
right way to do a freeqt was to gradually override methods and objects
in the real Qt until none were left.

Alan