List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: license for small audio sample
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jr () jriddell ! org>
Date:       2017-04-28 11:58:53

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 07:23:37AM +0200, Thomas Eschenbacher wrote:
> Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > [...]
> >> in my application (Kwave) I have some small audio sample file, which
> >> currently is licensed under the CC-BY-SA-3.0 license, as suggested by
> >> https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy section 11.
> >>
> >> Now some packager from Gentoo Linux told me that this is not a nice idea
> >> because it is "incompatible with GPL" and that my application (Kwave)
> >> seems to be the only one that uses this license among all other KDE
> >> applications.
> >
> > The Gentoo packager has no clue of what he is saying. A "data" file can't
> > conflict with GPL code, tell him to not waste your time.
>
> Thanks, that confirms my opinion!
>
> Then only one question remains: which existing KDE application *also*
> uses that license? It is suggested on
> https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy, so I would expect
> that there are many examples... Or am I the only one on the world who
> follows that rule?

Can't remember what I made the rule for but..

rocs:
Files: App/InterfacePlugins/ApiDoc/HtmlView/bootstrap-apiview.css
       App/InterfacePlugins/ApiDoc/HtmlView/objectApi.html
       App/InterfacePlugins/ApiDoc/HtmlView/overview.html
       src/plugins/scriptapi/html/bootstrap-apiview.css
       src/plugins/scriptapi/html/objectApi.html
       src/plugins/scriptapi/html/overview.html
Copyright: 2013, Andreas Cord-Landwehr <cola@uni-paderborn.de>
           2013-2014, Andreas Cord-Landwehr <cordlandwehr@kde.org>
License: CC-BY-3.0
 Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
 licence available at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

marble:
Files: data/placemarks/HOWTO-cities.txt
       data/placemarks/baseplacemarks.cache
       data/placemarks/baseplacemarks.kml
       data/placemarks/boundaryplacemarks.cache
       data/placemarks/boundaryplacemarks.kml
       data/placemarks/cities.txt
       data/placemarks/cityplacemarks.cache
       data/placemarks/cityplacemarks.kml
       data/placemarks/cityplacemarks_large_population.cache
       data/placemarks/elevplacemarks.cache
       data/placemarks/elevplacemarks.kml
       data/placemarks/moonlandingsites.cache
       data/placemarks/moonlandingsites.kml
       data/placemarks/moonterrain.cache
       data/placemarks/moonterrain.kml
       data/placemarks/otherplacemarks.cache
       data/placemarks/otherplacemarks.kml
       data/placemarks/statecodes.txt
       data/placemarks/timeZones.txt
Copyright: No copyright holders listed
Comment: No explicit license found, using license(s) from:
 data/placemarks/COPYRIGHT
License: CC-BY-3.0
 This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License,
 see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
 The Data is provided "as is" without warranty or any representation of
 accuracy, timeliness or completeness.