List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: License Compatabilities and KPlugin
From:       Alex Merry <alex.merry () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-12-01 19:21:01

On Monday 01 December 2014 07:29:47 Andreas Cord-Landwehr wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2014 12:06:47 Alex Merry wrote:
> > Note: I'm fairly confident there's nothing special about the
> > implementation
> > of KPluginLoader that makes it different from any other common-or-garden
> > plugin mechanism, from a legal standpoint at least.
>
> Thanks for the answer! Why I specifically named KPluginLoader is because of
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins
>
> and the named exceptions there. Though I assume that my use-case is more or
> less in the "border-line area"...

Ah, I see. No, KPluginLoader's implementation works through dynamic linking.
So the GNU interpretation would say that the plugin license has to be
compatible with the (LGPL) library in order to be distributed. The question is
whether it has to be compatible with the executable's license. I suspect that
the GNU interpretation would be that it does, since it sounds like the library
could be considered merely part of the application, and distributing all three
together would put the work as a whole under the GPL.

Alex