List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    License Compatabilities and KPlugin
From:       Andreas Cord-Landwehr <cordlandwehr () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-11-24 7:38:56

Hey, I would like to hear some opinions whether the following is possible.
The setting is as follows:

* a GPL-2+ application that uses an internal LGPL+2.1+ library
* the library has a plugin structure with the help of KPluginFactory

Now, I want to add a new plugin to the application libraries' plugins that
links to an (external) EPL-1 licensed library, whereas we all know that EPL is
incompatible to GPL. I know that I could write that plugin with some BSD-
licensed (or maybe better dual-licensed BSD & LGPL ?) classes to solve all
issues inside the plugin.

But what I wonder is, is the KPluginFactory mechanism implemented in such a
way that I can actually *use* the plugin, i.e., load it with KPluginLoader and
create it by factory->create()?

Cheers,
Andreas