List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Using libunrar in KArchive?
From:       Alex Merry <alex.merry () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-03-28 19:45:07

On 28/03/14 18:55, Ingo Kl=F6cker wrote:
> On Thursday 27 March 2014 13:51:48 David Faure wrote:

>>> It would be code that none of the big distributions would ship, so
>>> I'm not sure it would be that ... useful.
>>
>> OK. Since I will write this code anyway (a customer needs it), this
>> only leaves one question - is it ok to put it in karchive anyway?
> =

> What do you mean by "put it in karchive"? As the cited Fedora page says =

> the license is GPL-incompatible. You cannot link GPL code together with =

> any parts of unrar's source code. Calling the unrar executable from =

> karchive should be okay though.

I would assume this is putting the code that *uses* libunrar in
KArchive, which is fine.  Obviously, putting libunrar itself in would
not be.

But, as Albert said, no distribution would ship a binary that linked to
libunrar, so that bit of code wouldn't get much use (distros would just
compile KArchive without unrar support).

Alex