List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Using libunrar in KArchive?
From:       Sune Vuorela <nospam () vuorela ! dk>
Date:       2014-03-27 12:36:52

On 2014-03-27, David Faure <faure@kde.org> wrote:
> Do you think it would be possibly to make karchive optionally depend on
> libunrar, for *extracting* rar files (with no support for creating rar files)?
>
> The license for libunrar has limitations, but AFAICS only "do not recreate the
> compression algorithm", so if we don't do that, would it be a problem?

It would be code that none of the big distributions would ship, so I'm
not sure it would be that ... useful.

The big distributions wouldn't ship it because it violates the four
freedoms / the opensource definition / the debian free software
guidelines

maybe looking at librarification of 'unar' would be a better approach ?

/Sune