List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Licensing of Language Resources
From:       Alex Merry <kde () randomguy3 ! me ! uk>
Date:       2013-04-14 10:09:13

On 12/04/13 07:18, Andreas Cord-Landwehr wrote:
> bullet points 10 and 11 were the points I was thinking about. What is/was
> unclear for me is what the definition of a "standalone media" is. Hence, does
> point 11 apply or not (applying would result in the fact that the data "must"
> be licensed under GPL).

From the wording of point 10, I would interpret "standalone media" as
any data which is *used* by a program, but not *combined* with the
program.  So anything that is in some way compiled into the program
(whether directly as resource files or indirectly in that the data is
used to generate code) must be under one of the standard source code
licenses.  In particular, if - at compile time - you generated C++ code
from the XML files, which you then compiled into the application (or a
library), the XML files would have to be under one of the standard code
licenses.

However, if it just gets installed to $PREFIX/share and opened by the
program at runtime (which it sounds the case for your files), it can be
under CC-BY-SA.  But note (as Albert already pointed out) that you have
the choice: you can either license the data files under CC-BY-SA or
under one of the standard code licenses.

Alex

PS: dual-licensing is also a possibility, if you want to keep flexibility.