List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Re: Licensing of Language Resources
From:       Andreas Cord-Landwehr <phoenixx () uni-paderborn ! de>
Date:       2013-04-12 6:18:48

On Thursday 11 April 2013 23:17:50 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimarts, 9 d'abril de 2013, a les 22:50:45, Andreas Cord-Landwehr va
> escriure:
> > Hi, I recently started Artikulate (a language learning/pronunciation
> > training application that currently lives in KDE Edu playground). As the
> > application becomes more stable, it is a must for this application to
> > gather a large base of language material. This material consists of
> > * XML files that specify lists of phrases
> > * according recordings from native speakers (probably OGG file format)
> > and will be located due to the expected repository size in an extra GIT
> > repository named artikulate-data [1].
> >
> > But before starting and to add the first course files (that by their nature
> > will/must come from a lot of different people), I want to fix the licensing
> > of those to be created files.
> >
> > For this I created in the repository a README file as well a COPYING.COURSE
> > file (for all courses) and a COPYING file (for scripts that are used for
> > maintainance work). My interpretation of the techbase licensing article
[2]
> > is that the course files should be licensed under a CC-BY-SA license. For
> > the script files I chose the LGPL2.1+ terms.
>
> Are you speaking of point 10? Note the keyword there is "may", you can use
> other of the acceptable licenses for data too if you want.

Thanks Albert,

bullet points 10 and 11 were the points I was thinking about. What is/was
unclear for me is what the definition of a "standalone media" is. Hence, does
point 11 apply or not (applying would result in the fact that the data "must"
be licensed under GPL).

Actually, I can very well live with the CC BY-SA 3.0 license for the data.

Greetings,
Andreas