List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Oxygen font licensing
From:       Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab () web ! de>
Date:       2012-01-26 22:19:47

At Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:47:08 -0800,
Dave Crossland wrote:
> On 25 January 2012 08:16, Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com> wrote:
> > Richard is suggesting that when a font is partially copied into a PDF
> > document, it can reasonably be considered separate to the combined
> > work of the document.
>
> Richard, I see you were not suggesting that :-)
>
> > Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > The problem is that the OFL might not extend to the GPL text,
> > > but the GPL text could well extend to the font. Which in my opinion
> > > also is how it should be: If there were an unfree font in a PDF, I
> > > might not be able to distribute changed versions of the text in
> > > the same format, because I would not be allowed to redistribute
> > > the font.
>
> If true, it would also be true of images/graphics that are also
> embedded in PDFs with GPL texts. How are non-free images used with GPL
> texts handled?

In my case: Not at all. I do not want to take that risk, so I use no unfree images \
with free text. I try to stay away from unfree works wherever I can. because they \
restrict my freedom to change the things I work with.

Fr that reason I deleted all non-GPL-compatibel fonts from my computer. I do not want \
to risk using one because it looks good, just to realize that I cannot use that for \
my own creations because I am not allowed to copy a missing letter from another font \
into it. Since I started using a keyboard layout with greek letters and mathematical \
symbols, that issue grew much bigger than bfore, because I more and more use Glyphs \
in my daily writing which are only available in a few fonts.

> I suggest that the simplest solution would be to make the Oxygen font
> available under GPLv2, GPLv3 and OFL.

That or LGPLv2 or later and OFL would be best in my opinion.

Best wishes,
Arne