List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Oxygen font licensing
From:       vernon adams <vern () newtypography ! co ! uk>
Date:       2012-01-25 15:37:08

On 25/01/12 15:00, Richard Stallman wrote:
> It seems reasonable to argue that the text and the font are two
> separate works even if packaged into a PDF file.  A text and a font
> seem separate by nature -- not like two program modules that are
> combined into one program.

I'm not sure i understand the  sticking point on using the Open Font
License for the Oxygen Fonts. Can someone remind me of the issue? Is
there seriously a worry that any text written in an OFL licensed font
could somehow become included under the license? I'm not aware of any
font licensing (libre or proprietary) that has ever attempted that :)
'Text' and  'font' are obviously separate.

-vernon