List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Translation / Documentation licensing
From:       Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?q?L=FCck?= <lueck () hube-lueck ! de>
Date:       2010-03-12 16:45:00

Hi,

I have two questions regarding licensing.

1) License of translations of docs
The Licensing_Policy says in section 6:
"...Translations of text from other files must be licenced under one of the
terms in sections 4 or 5."
Sections 4 and 5 name LGPL/BSD/MIT/X11/GPL but no FDL which is the license to
be used for documentation.

FDL says in 2.9 TRANSLATION:
"Translation is considered a kind of modification...", so the translation of a
kde documentation afaik has to be FDL as well.

This seems to be contradicting to the text in Licensing_Policy section 6.

2) Using Documentation licensed under FDL with a Invariant Section.

Recently I got in contact with the 'Doku-Wichtl' from opensuse
(http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation_Team) about a collaboration for
writing/exchanging KDE documentation.

The opensuse docu team has eg written a KDE Quick Start and a KDE User Guide
and some more docs for KDE 4; see
http://www.novell.com/documentation/opensuse112/

Legal section of these docs says:
"Copyright © 2006-2009 Novell, Inc.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under
the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later
version published by the Free Software Foundation; with the Invariant Section
being this copyright notice and license. ..."

Afaik the copyright notice of the original documentation has to be included in
the modified documentation anyway and the modified doc must be FDL, so this
Invariant Section seems to be superfluous, but IANAL...

Or is there something in this Invariant Section I have overlooked?

Licensing_Policy has in section 8:
"Documentation must be licensed under one of the following terms:
FDL versions 1.2 as listed in kdelibs/COPYING.DOC or later versions with no
Invariant Sections..."

Does that mean a modified version of the opensuse docs with the mentioned
Invariant Section can't be used in KDE?

--
Burkhard Lück