List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Kate License
From:       Alex Merry <kde () randomguy3 ! me ! uk>
Date:       2010-03-06 16:08:33

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 12:42:56 Matthias Peinhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the current Kate is licensed under LGPL 2 only, not 2.1, and no "or later".
> I think this violates the licensing policy, no? Is it even legal to link
> this against LGPL 3?

The LGPL 2 (the only difference to the LGPL 2.1 is the name) actually allows
re-licensing as any version (from 2 onwards) of the GPL, so linking against
LGPL 3 code is fine, as long as you aren't also linking against code that is
incompatible with GPL 3.  As far as I know/can see you can't just relicense
the code as LGPL 2.1+, though.

The licensing policy on techbase actually allows LGPL 2.1-only code, but we
have been trying to get libs code licensed "LGPL version 2.1 or version 3 or
later versions approved by the membership of KDE e.V." as far as possible.

Alex