List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Using ISC-licensed code in a LGPL2 file
From:       Frank Roscher <Frank-Roscher () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-03-12 19:39:33

Hello everybody!

I've ported code from an application called EasyStroke to KHotkeys. Now, I don't want to commit this \
before making sure this won't cause any licensing problems in the future.

The relevant file of KHotkeys is LGPL2, EasyStroke is under the ISC license:
http://github.com/thjaeger/easystroke/tree/master/LICENSE?raw=true
The author of EasyStroke gave me explicit permission to do this (being informed about the licenses), but \
I don't know if that is enough for the KDE project.

The fact that the ISC license requires a permission notice to be included that probably conflicts with \
the LGPL makes me itchy. At the moment I don't include this notice in my draft. I'll paste the \
licensing/copyright notices as I have them at the moment at the bottom of this mail.

So, I really don't have a clue how to handle this.
How should the licensing text look? Should the special permission be mentioned there? Do we need further \
help from the developer of EasyStroke?

Thank you for your time.

----------
Current license text follows:

/*
   Copyright (C) 1999-2001 Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@kde.org>
   Copyright (C) 2008 Michael Jansen <kde@michael-jansen.biz>

   This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
   modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
   License version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.

   This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
   Library General Public License for more details.

   You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public License
   along with this library; see the file COPYING.LIB.  If not, write to
   the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor,
   Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
*/

/*
    Gesture matching code based on EasyStroke:
    Easystroke is a gesture-recognition application for X11.
    Copyright (c) 2008-2009, Thomas Jaeger <ThJaeger@gmail.com>
    http://easystroke.sourceforge.net
*/