List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: licence policy update
From:       Alex Merry <kde () randomguy3 ! me ! uk>
Date:       2009-02-13 22:43:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 13 February 2009 22:12:51 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> The licence policy currently says that files must be under a free
> licence but fails to say that they must be in source code form.  In
> order to prevent anyone putting binary blobs without source code into
> SVN I'd like to add this to the policy
>
> "All files must be in their preferred modifiable form, or alongside
> the file which is the preferred modifiable form."
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy/Draft

Seems very sensible to me.

The GPL and LGPL, of course, don't make much sense if you don't include the
source code, but there's nothing inherent in the BSD or MIT licenses that
suggest source code needs to be available.  And even in the case of the LGPL
and GPL, it's better to make it explicit.

Alex

--
Why have I got six monitors?  Because I haven't got room for eight.
  -- Terry Pratchett