List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: KDE artwork : reuse of icons under GPL-2 ?
From:       Christophe Boccheciampe <boccheciampe () dpt-info ! u-strasbg ! fr>
Date:       2009-01-27 7:34:59

Thanks for your answers.

Jonathan Riddell a écrit :
> crystalsvg are GPL 2, oxygen icons are GPL 3.

According to the devs, Oxygen icons are now under LGPL-2 (their website is out of \
date). The CrystalSVG website (http://www.everaldo.com/crystal/?action=license) says \
LGPL too, but the GPL licence is then mentionned. Lets say it is LGPL :)

> This is only the case if you embed the image in your application, for
> example using a Qt resource file.  In KDE we just load the file at
> runtime so the application's licence is unaffected by the artwork.

Since my application also loads the icons (it is a web-interface), I presume it is ok \
too. If it's not, just let me know.

Rex Dieter a écrit :
> According to http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/ ,
> "The CeCILL is a free software license, explicitly compatible with the
> GNU GPL."

Yes it is compatible, I've been confused by this ( \
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLCommercially ) :

** If I use a piece of software that has been obtained under the GNU GPL, am I \
allowed to modify the original code into a new program, then distribute and sell that \
new program commercially? ** => You are allowed to sell copies of the modified \
                program commercially, but only under the terms of the GNU GPL.

The CeCILL licence is not a commercial one, but using it means my code won't by \
released "under the terms of the GNU GPL" like the text says, that's why I asked :)

C.B.