List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    KDE artwork : reuse of icons under GPL-2 ?
From:       Christophe Boccheciampe <boccheciampe () dpt-info ! u-strasbg ! fr>
Date:       2009-01-08 12:01:03

Hi, and happy new year :)

I would like to (slightly) modify and reuse some icons from various KDE packages \
(mostly "crystalsvg", "hicolor" and "oxygen" icons, provided by kdebase-data or \
kdeartwork-iconthemes from Gentoo) in some applications. Some of these packages - and \
icons - are under GPL-2 license (right ?).

I've read that using some work under GPL-2 implies the entire new application to be \
under GPL. The problem is, I _have_ to use another license for our apps (CeCILL-B, a \
french license for education : \
http://www.cecill.info/licences/Licence_CeCILL-B_V1-en.html).

What is the best solution ?
- to use only LGPL*-only icons ? (time consuming, but I guess it would be ok)

- to ask the permission to include all these icons in our package under our own \
license ? Who should I ask that to when I'm not sure about the designers of each \
icons theme (oxygen and crystalsvg are pretty obvious, but what about 'slick', \
'hicolor', ... ones ?)

- to build a separate package under GPL-2 including these icons, then ask users to \
download both packages to "rebuild" the application ?

I've read many posts and docs about licensing, but I still don't have a clear answer.

Thanks for your help !

Regards,

--
Christophe