List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    art licensing question
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-08-22 0:48:50

Hopefully there are some US copyright lawyers around here ;-). I want to
create an SVG that looks like a giraffe's patterning. Now, lets say my
art skills suck, and the only possible way I can do this is to trace
(NOT automated; by hand) a small section of a (presumably copyrighted
under a restrictive license) photo of a giraffe. Given that what I'm
tracing has the originality of tossing a giraffe pelt (which itself
cannot be copyrighted) on a scanner (and therefore, may not qualify for
copyright), is this OK? At what point is a photo of a non-copyrightable
object sufficiently original to be copyrighted? Is the choice of *what*
giraffe to photograph sufficiently "original"? (And yes, I know, the
Best Thing To Do is to find my own giraffe to photograph, however let's
assume that's not an option, or maybe that I'm in love with the marking
on a particular giraffe in such a photo ;-).)

(The above is actually a real example, though one of more immediate
concern involves a slab of granite. Again, AFAIK a slab of granite is
not copyrightable; if I have a picture that is effectively a scan of
said slab, is that picture subject to copyright?)

--
Matthew
Anonymous: I want the following [software] features: