List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Add Trolltech GPL licence text
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-01-30 21:33:06

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 02:21:52PM -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Of course, now that Qt is GPLv3, why do we still *require* GPLv2? ;-)
>
> I don't see any need to move to GPL 3 only for now and it help us keep
> compatibility with more free software apps if they want to copy bits
> of our code.

This is a valid point, if one I suspect RMS et all don't agree with ;-).

> Also we can't currently since we still have some GPL 2
> only code.

...but not violating the terms of existing code licenses is nothing new,
so I don't see how this applies.

So, in a nutshell, KDE is still requiring all code to be licensed under
a GPLv2-compatible license :-(.

--
Matthew
No animal should ever jump on the dining room furniture unless