List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: KDE and GPLv3
From:       Stan Cunningham <stan.cunningham () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2008-01-30 4:25:04

Hi Brett,

wrote:
> > My name is Brett Smith; I handle various
license-related issues
> for the
> > Free Software Foundation.  With the recent release
of Qt under
> GPLv3,
> > I've been looking to learn more about KDE's own
license plans --
> just so
> > I have a sense of how things stand for the major
users of the GPL.
>  I'm
> > not here to tell you to do things a certain way or
anything like
> that;
> > I'm just looking for information.
> > I saw the page on your Wiki about efforts to make
sure that all
> the
> > other code in KDE could be upgraded to GPLv3, and
I'm glad to see
> that
> > that's apparently going well.  I was wondering: do
you know if KDE
> > itself is expecting to upgrade to GPLv3 relatively
soon?  And is
> that
> > likely going to happen all at once in the KDE
universe, or will
> various
> > different components and applications change at
different times?

> The KDE e.V., the formal organization behind the KDE
project
> recently has
> decided with a big majority about an updated
licensing policy
> (http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy)
by a vote of its
> members.
> The policy basically makes sure that it's possible
to write both
> GPLv2 and
> GPLv3 programs for KDE.

You can check out the progress of relicensing KDE
files from GPLv2-only to GPLv2+ at:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_Relicensing

and

http://toma.kovoks.nl/kde/