List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Updated Licence Policy
From:       Andreas <andreas () knewton ! biz>
Date:       2007-11-27 2:00:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Jonathan -

I respectfully disagree with your conclusion re: the membership.  The GPL is pretty \
clear how acceptance is manifested - "that proxy's public statement of acceptance of \
a version *permanently* authorizes you to choose that version for the Program".  \
Section 8(5) of the KDE eV's charter specifies that "[e]ach individual board member \
has the right to represent the [eV] to outside parties" and the charter does not \
clearly reserve the authority to approve a license to the membership.  So it seems to \
me that if the KDE eV board (or an officer) publicly stated that the version was \
accepted, the issue is settled, irrespective of what the membership thinks.
Personally I think this is rather unwise.

An alternative would be to
amend the KDE eV charter to specifically prohibit anyone but the membership from \
approving a license, but that seems more difficult than adding a few bytes to a file.

Best regards,

Andreas Pour