List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Updated Licence Draft
From:       Alex Merry <huntedhacker () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-11-28 11:21:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > Btw, is "KDE e.V. decides" referring to the v3 clause allowing e.V.
> > to allow a later version of GPL, or to allow /an arbitrary
> > license/? Might want to make that clear...
>
> this is not clarified yet, because KDE e.V. has not decided upon a
> policy. So indeed it means "any arbitrary license". In the extremely
> unlikely event of GPLv4 making it impossible for KDE to use its 3rd
> party components (Qt, X11, others), we would have to use a different
> license. I would guess the chance for that happening is close to
> zero, but thats the same like winning the lottery. The most likely
> thing that would happen is that the e.V. formally approves GPLv4 as
> an acceptable license and your contributions would be automatically
> relicensed as GPLv4.

The way we've been talking about it on this list, and the way the
licensing policy is written, it refers to future GPL versions.  In
particular, e.V. is listed in the copyright as the entity acting as the
proxy in GPL v.3, which only allows future versions of the GPL.

I don't think it's reasonable to require people to hand over complete
control of licensing to the e.V.  After all, if you're willing to let
the e.V. arbitrarily relicense your code at some point in the future,
why not just make it BSD now?

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org