List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Update to KDE Licence Policy
From:       Alex Merry <huntedhacker () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-08-16 21:19:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 15 Aug 2007, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 11:40:55AM +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > KDE's Licence Policy is out of date, not only with GPL 3 but also
> > QPL and FDL.
> >
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy
>
> I've written a draft updated policy removing QPL, requiring (L)GPL 3
> or later as approved by e.V. and requiring LGPL 3+ for kdelibs icons
> and FDL for documentation.
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy/Draft
>
> Comments welcome, as well as suggestions on how to make this official
> policy.

I made a couple of edits with respect to commas in the version lists,
just to make it clearer.

I think we should also allow people to just put "version 2 or (at your
option) any later version" (and mention this), since there will
undoubtably be people who trust the FSF enough to license their work
this way.

It should also be noted (just in general, not necessarily in the
licensing policy) that this means we cannot import code that is
licensed only under GPLv2 (or code that is licensed under GPLv3 or
licensed as GPLv2 or GPLv3), since we are requiring copyright holders
to either allow any later version or declare KDE e.v. as a proxy.

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org
Ubuntu/Kubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.org http://www.kubuntu.org