List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Update to KDE Licence Policy
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jr () jriddell ! org>
Date:       2007-08-15 0:50:15

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 02:31:11AM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 11:40:55AM +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> >> KDE's Licence Policy is out of date, not only with GPL 3 but also QPL
> >> and FDL.
> >>
> >> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy
> >
> >I've written a draft updated policy removing QPL, requiring (L)GPL 3
> >or later as approved by e.V. and requiring LGPL 3+ for kdelibs icons
> >and FDL for documentation.
> >
> >http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy/Draft
> >
> >Comments welcome, as well as suggestions on how to make this official
> >policy.
>
> I'd rather not require any "or later". The reason why people removed them
> in the first place is because they are not comfortable releasing their
> code under a license whose terms aren't known to anybody yet. Regardless
> of how much we trust the e.V. or the FSF.

Then we will be left in the unacceptable situation where we can no
longer use vital dependencies such as libsmbclient which move to new
versions of the GPL when we can't because someone who wrote an part of
KDE licenced without allowing later versions to be approved has fallen
off the internet.

Jonathan