List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    KDE's Crystal icon theme license violation found
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Eug=E9ne_Suter?=" <easuter () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-27 9:14:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi there!

A few days ago on linuxquestions.org a member posted a screenshot of a
heavily modified Windows XP desktop, that appeared to have lots of KDE icons
as a replacement for the stock Windows ones.

It seems that the Windows themeing kit used makes use of KDE icons, but it
makes absolutely no reference to where the icons came from, and their
copyrignt notice completely overredes the Crystal icon theme's license (LGPL
if I'm not mistaken).

This is the website:

http://www.crystalxp.net/galerie/en.id.117.htm

A screenshot clearly showing the use of KDE artwork in their Windows
("CrystalXP") themepack:

http://www.crystalxp.net/galerie/img/th2_117.jpg

And on the download page, you can see the copyrignt notice:

http://www.crystalxp.net/dl/en.gal.117.htm

"Files available on CrystalXP.net are property of their creator.
All downloads are free for personal use on your computer only.
Any use for commercial or lucrative purpose is strictly forbidden.
All downloads must not be redistributed in any way (i.e. magazine that
includes a CD or on another Internet website) without permission!
For further information please contact the author and the team of
CrystalXP.net"

No redistribution possible eh?.......

Well, I did send the "CrystaXP" team an e-mail with a simple heads-up that
they were in violation the LGPL and using KDE's artwork ilegaly by
restriction the redistribution.
But I was ignored, and they have neither changed their copyright notice, nor
GPL'ed the parts of the themepack that use the KDE Crystal icon theme.

Maybe they will actually listen if contacted by someone from KDE, so thats
why I'm posting here first before sending a message to the GPL Compliance
Lab (who probably won't be so tollerant).

Cheers!

Eugene