List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Fwd: YazooSmileys look non-free
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2005-12-17 18:27:45

Christopher,

I'm forwarding to kde-artists such that the artists can have a look at this as
well.

Cheers,

		Frans

Subject: YazooSmileys look non-free
Date: Monday 12 December 2005 12:17
From: Christopher Martin <christopher.martin@utoronto.ca>
To: kde-licensing@kde.org

Hello,

The apparent license of the kdeartwork/emoticons/YazooSmileys{16,22}
(contained in a readme.txt in each directory) looks exceedingly un-free.
For instance, they are for "private/non commercial use only", you "may not
alter these Icons", "may not distribute or post these icons on any site
that is not authorised by me", and "can not sell them add them to any sort
of commercial pack including CD collections". There is no reference to a
standard license like the GPL.

It would appear that these emoticons really shouldn't be in a standard KDE
module (can't even be sold on CD? modified?). Or else Stefan Gehn, who
added the emoticons to the archive, should negotiate with the author to
have their situation improved (presumably he can comment on the intentions
of the upstream author better than most). I mailed him a bit earlier, but
haven't yet received a response.

Thanks,
Christopher Martin