List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: kdepim/konsolekalendar [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]
From:       Kevin Forge <forge () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2004-03-23 16:18:11

The GPL + QT exception license, used by a few bits in KDE was created at
a time prior to the QPL.
Back then you could look at the source of QT but not modify it which
made that license not
GPL Compatible.  The advent of the QPL solved that practical problem
(despite what several
none/lawyers said).

Latter on QT received a 3rd license.  The GPL, That makes it possible to
write apps linked against QT
and license them as GPL (No special exemptions of any kind since GPL ->
GPL is a perfect match)
or to license them as LGPL, BSD, Artistic, X11 etc... and link them
against the same QT which in
that case uses the QPL license.

In short if your license appears on
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
under
GPL-Compatible, Free Software Licenses
or
GPL-Incompatible, Free Software Licenses

you can license your software that way and link it against QT and KDE
with no worries.