List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: Re: May I use KDE Icons on my website?
From:       Ante Wessels <vitanova2 () softhome ! net>
Date:       2004-03-11 13:11:03

On Martes 09 Marzo 2004 21:50, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2004 21:48, you wrote:
> > Hello!

> > > I don't understand what makes you say that. The LGPL allows you
> > > to use the icons...
> >
> > This is from taken from the license:
> > > KDE Crystal theme icons is a special kind of software library,
> > > it is an artwork library, it's elements can be used in a
> > > Graphical User Interface, or GUI.
> >
> > I understand it that way that there is no other use permitted
> > than in a GUI, but I can be wrong, of course. That would be great
> > this time ;-)
>
> I don't think that this is the intent of that sentence, I think it only
> means that the LGPL applies to the crystal theme even though it's no usual
> library of code (but a "library of artwork" instead).
>
> But I didn't write it, so I'm cc'ing kde-artists, so that those who wrote
> this license can clarify it.
>
> Adding such a restriction on the use of the icons wouldn't be very
> compatible with the LGPL though, I think.

No, it is not meant as a restriction at all. Icons only make sense in a
graphical environment (not in a command terminal), so, any way you can use
them, it is a graphical interface (a web page is a GUI, in a sense, it can
direct you to other pages, some programs use webpages as an interface).

An add-on is usefull to clarify and expand a license. Restricting a license
with an add-on would be dubious, possibly ruled invalid...

Cordialemente,

Ante

******
The most up to date info for kde artists can be found at the wiki:
http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists
old:
http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists

Scripts for kde artists, like svg2png4kde, add border, add drop shadow, change
filename, file conversion:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux/index.html

Web course italian, poem generator, poetry, stories and visual art:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita