List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: May I use KDE Icons on my website?
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-03-09 20:50:23

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 21:48, you wrote:
> Hello!
>
> > > Thanks for your answer! It seems that I am not allowed to use
> > > the icons I wanted to because they are crystal ones :-(
> >
> > I don't understand what makes you say that. The LGPL allows you
> > to use the icons...
>
> This is from taken from the license:
>
> > KDE Crystal theme icons is a special kind of software library,
> > it is an artwork library, it's elements can be used in a
> > Graphical User Interface, or GUI.
>
> I understand it that way that there is no other use permitted
> than in a GUI, but I can be wrong, of course. That would be great
> this time ;-)

I don't think that this is the intent of that sentence, I think it only means
that the LGPL applies to the crystal theme even though it's no usual
library of code (but a "library of artwork" instead).

But I didn't write it, so I'm cc'ing kde-artists, so that those who wrote this
license can clarify it.

Adding such a restriction on the use of the icons wouldn't be very compatible
with the LGPL though, I think.