List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: GPL compatibility of data licensing?
From:       Kevin Forge <forge () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2003-08-19 7:13:22

 Perhaps GNU.org has a place to ask, but since kde-licensing@ is so
quiet these days ...

1st there is the matter of where dose software end and data begin.
Basically the GPL covers software, not the data created or manipulated
with that software.  I.e. It is acceptable for a studio to use a GPLed
program running on a GPLed OS to create a movie, or some music which is
then licensed under the most draconian terms imaginable.

It is also OK for you to use your GPLed Email program to download a
proprietary and copyrighted document attached to an Email and then read
it in your GPLed word processor.

All the statement you read has done is define online help as a document
rather than a part of the program.  This makes sense to me but perhaps
others have another opinion.

As for the Modified KDE.  You might get a cease and desist from Apple. :).
Seriously.  I am not sure where icons and themes fall on the scale from
software to document.  Someone else has to answer that part.