List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: QPL still needed?
From:       Kevin Forge <forge () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2003-04-08 22:24:26

Matthias Ettrich wrote:

>On Tuesday 08 April 2003 04:59, Kevin Forge wrote:
>

>>The lack of clarity is in and of itself reason enogh to cover everyones
>>asses with the QPL.
>>
>>The code in KDE itself is all compatible with the GPL.  However as you
>>point out there are
>>comersial QT apps out there.
>>

>As I wrote in my previous email, that can be covered for with a little
>exception.

But exceptions open up a huge can of worms.  Onless of course you were
to use the same exception
that the GNU compilers and the Kernel use. :)

>>There might be apps onder the old BSD license or other none GPL
>>compatible licenses.
>>    I don't know of any specific ones (but they are probebly just
>>unpopular).
>>
>>BTW: This license change would put TheKompany.com out of business.
>>

>??? What makes you think that? Please elaborate.
>
> Matthias

The business model they use asumes customers have ready access to a free
QT runtime.
"ready access"  also means not being called pirates by the cluless.
 Which would hapen if
QT were under a GPL+excemption license.