List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Comercial applications and GPLed KDE
From:       John Ericson <john.ericson () home ! se>
Date:       2001-09-18 14:02:10

On Sep 17 10:32, Andreas Pietzowski wrote:
> Hi there,

hello

> I want to prodce commercial applications for KDE. Is it allowed to include
> the KDE-header-files (witch seem to be GPLed) and produce a NOT GPLed
> application?
>
> I want to use the session-management-feature from KDE and the
> config-file-system witch is part of the normal KDE-Libs.
>
> But these things are all GPL (or perhaps LGPL?). How is it possible to
> create commercial (closed source, or Opensource but not GPL) software for
> native KDE? I guess there must be a way to do so because otherwise KDE
> will never have success in the commercial world :-)

Make sure you find out if the libs are GPL'ed or LGPL'ed, its a big
difference.
If they are GPL'ed and if you link to it from your application
you have to be compatible with the GPL.
If they are LGPL'ed you can link to them from your application without
being forced to be compatible with the GPL. You can use whatever license
you want.

--
* John Ericson john@john.pp.se
* ICQ: 7325429 JID: high@jabber.org