List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Re: Server Components
From:       Thomas =?iso-8859-1?q?F=F6rster?= <foerster () itb ! biologie ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-05-14 7:12:49

On Saturday 12 May 2001 16:01, you wrote:
> Thomas Förster wrote:
> > I've thought a bit about the needed server components(Task #30130).
> > ...snipped... [me, talking about server components]
>
> Hello Thomas,
>

>    Sorry I took so long replying but I've been very busy lately.

Better a late reply, than no reply.

>    It seems to me that the point you bring up about multiple file export
> isn't really a problem.  I think you could easily imagine an IDL
> interface which furnishes an iterator over a collection of export stream
> objects.

Thanks for switching the light on ;-) Of course, if you want to return not a
single object but a collection, return a collection (or a pointer to) and
traverse it.

>    Now, I'm not necessarily saying that we have absolutely to tolerate
> no exceptions to the strategy of putting application logic in CORBA
> acessible components but I don't think that this particular issue really
> warrants such an exception.

Maybe my 'complicated' questions are a stress test to the concept. But until
now all things could be done in server. So the concept seems to be very
stable.

As there were no objections against the listed components, I'll take that for
granted. I now tend to put versioning in "Storage" which then provides a
versioned storage for projects data (mostly UML data, but maybe there will be
a time where you can go from idea to code with kUML, so other artifacts could
be stored here too). The backend (database, file[s]...) is configurable.

The "Access Control" component stores user data, project specific role
permissions and user-role mapping (also project specific). It also provides
methods to query authorization for specific operations.

Thomas