List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Personal Introduction [Re: Project goals]
From:       Thomas Förster <t.foerster () itb ! biologie ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2000-10-25 9:53:49

Am Wed, 25 Oct 2000 schriebst Du:
>Hi guys,
>
> ...[snip]
>So my suggestion is to first give each individual a chance to introduce
>himself. This shouldn't be an extensive CV, but i am thinking about
>information like:

Thomas Förster, 23 years old. I'm currently do my studies in biology here in
Berlin. I'm also webmaster of the ITB (http://itb.biologie.hu-berlin.de),
currently fiddling with the integration of Apache, mod_ssl and Zope.
As typical for dynamic websites, I've database (SQL / Design) experience and
have tried php also.

I have little experience in C++, meaning I haven't written a larger project
yet. That's one reason, why I'm here. I have experience (unfortunately only
theoretical) on OO-Design, Patterns, UML, Project Management, Refactoring,
[Testing] (I've read a lot, esp. www.extremeprogramming.org was valuable)

Thanks to Gerard I've written my first XML/DTD/XSL --> html today. It was
easier than I thought.

My interests in this project are improving my UML knowledge and understanding,
improve project management (get some practice), experience real world
problems, working in a team. And yes I hope at the end (will there be one,
there will be versions, but an end ???) I have a functional tool which allows
me easier development.

I think the long list of features is necessary, as is the discussion about
which of them are "needed" in the first version. To abuse the Open-Closed
Principle a bit, be closed about what you will do, but be open for extensions.
Thats my intent why I've brought the plugins to play. I've seen, that the
steps are always the same for different languages, so why to commit to 1 or 2.
I'm absolutely happy if v1.0 will support C++ (if any !!) Maybe it is useful
to write down a roadmap for the project.

I see my best contribution in the analysis, for writing documentation
(eventually, I've never written user docs), some web development if we need
that. Of course I'll do some coding, but I think others get the solutions more
quickly.

>- how much time do you think you are going to spend on it (per week)
I'll hope to save 6-10 hours. This may drop a bit, depending on the workload
for my studies.

>- what do you think is the most important goal we should achieve with kUML
>i.e. is the reusability the most important or is it the wish to have a good
>working tool, or something else.
Both, with a separate library, third parties can do writing plugins,
converters or do integration with other programs, like IDE, Test Suites. Why
should we do ALL the work. But if we dont provide a way to do it, we MUST do
ALL work, if we want to get to that point.

>- what do you think about the Kde-Gnome ...
KDE vs. Gnome : It is absolutely senseless. I prefer a round table solution,
defining some Standard Desktop API to make life EASIER for contributing
developers and users.

>- why do you want to support kUML, why don't you support Argo or Dia or ....
Argo is incredibly, more precise unusable slow on my P200. But it may give a
good entry for User Interface Design. I havn't looked in the sources yet, but
maybe we find some hints on design.

Dia I know only from screenshots, I couln't compile this on my machine yet
(I've spent not much time on it). But from the description it seems to be a
general diagram editor, but lacks the functionality of "information sharing"
and "information hiding" (see reqs for this). So this will be the hole where I
would drop kUML GUI in.

Hope I haven't forgot anything
Thomas