List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Re: About XML, XMI and kUML
From:       Darius Stachow <dstachow () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-10-17 15:50:49

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for your explaining words on XML. I guess they'll help a lot of us to
better understand the functionality of XML.

I think it may be a good idea to collect all mails that contain explanations
on concepts or terms we use in kUML and store them in one place.
This would be so far your mail about XML and Jon's mail giving an overview
about the "meta model". It would be a pity if these mails would go lost in
the mass of mails in the mailing list archive.

New developer could easiliy access the mails without the need to search them
in the mail archive to get know of what we mean if we talk about meta model,
XML or whatever the future brings. But not only for new guys this would be
nice.

The mails may be stored as simple text files so they can be viewed with every
text editor:

kuml/docs/developer/

| - > analysis
| - > design
| - > misc
      | - > mails
             | - > xml.txt
             | - > metamodel.txt

What are you all thinking about this ?

On Die, 17 Okt 2000, you wrote:
>  ii)  Many of us (I think) believe that we should use XMI as the native
> kUML file format or persistance mechanism (XML role ii).
I agree to use XMI as main file format for kUML. I believe the spreading of
XMI will grow in the future and it may even become an accepted standard for
the storage of model information.

Actually I just know of Argo/UML using XMI. And there is an Rose -> XMI
converter that would allow to import indirectly Rose files into kUML.