List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    RE: xalan-c license
From:       "Wolfgang Müller" <muellerw () cui ! unige ! ch>
Date:       2000-10-16 14:14:20

>>>>> "BEJM" == Baak, E J M <baak@ecn.nl> writes:

BEJM> Hi Guys,
BEJM> we are diving into a discussion about XML techniques here, and personally i
BEJM> think it's far too early for that.

I think what we are having here is something quite close to a choice
of language. And for getting this sorted out we are speaking about how
one usually does things (AFAIK or IMHO, as you prefer). Would be a
pity to say xyz is super easy, letz use it, and after all you find out
that you cannot use it.

BEJM> However, to put some oil on the fire here's another suggestion.
BEJM> Qt supports the usage of XML by some beatiful QDomxxx classes.
BEJM> So why don't we keep things in the same family and limit our dependancies to
BEJM> all kind of third party source suppliers

...or libxml from the GNUs?

In your place I would try to use as many things as possible which are
not part of the "user interface war" to do for once a tool which is on
both sides of this silly border. Using something like expat or libxml,
together with some nice CPP wrappers sounds good to me, as I know qt
(I programmed a bit of QT 4 jears ago) it's probably cute, but you run
into flamewars (silly reason, I realize that), and there are
portability issues across OS borders.

But I agree, let's quit this for a moment, and anyhow, I am
maintainer of the GIFT (GNU image-finding tool, a content based image
retrieval system) which you now can find at www.gnu.org in the
software section.

Two projects are a bit much for me :-(

Cheers,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang M&uuml;ller, assistant-doctorant
Computer Vision Group, Universit&eacute; de Gen&egrave;ve.