List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Re: modeling tool voting list
From:       "Taimoor Khan" <taikhan () nortelnetworks ! com>
Date:       2000-09-27 19:03:31

Jason Elliot Robbins wrote:

> >> i've made a summary of all responds so far...
> >>
> >> Ed              Argo
> >> Carsten       Argo
> >> Gerard         Dia.
> >> Chris               Argo (reluctantly)
> >> Keith                Argo
> >       Geoff        Argo
>
> Jason  Argo
>
> Assuming that I get a vote :)
>
> Actually, I would really love to see you guys use argo and give
> specific feedback on it.  Writing about your experience actually using
> a tool is an important way to expose key requirements.
>
> E.g., what is your first impression of the tool? It takes too long to
> load.  What diagram type do you use the most? class diagrams.  Which
> elements do you use the most? classes and interfaces, and the edges.
> How do you spend most of your time? entering text, clicking on
> widgets, making the diagram visually clear?
>
> Comments from extended use would help both the argouml and kuml
> project.
>
> Onward and upward,
> jason!
>
> --
> Jason Robbins, Ph.D.       CollabNet is hiring open source developers!
> Chief Architect                         http://www.collab.net/careers/

Hi Guys,

good UML tools for Linux and happened to try both Argo and Dia.  In my
humble opinion they are both good drawing tools.  Argo does go a bit
further in providing support for code generation and documentation, but
what bugs me the most about Argo is its lack of support for nesting of
packages. For example in the package centric view, you are given a "root"
package and you can only create packages with in it one level deep.
Which means I can not create the following heirarchy "java.awt.event".
So I can create sub-packages one level deep but I can not put anything in
them.

With Dia such a concept is non-existent for it is only for drawing
diagrams is not usable for maintaining a complex model.

If all you guys are interested in only maintaining an object/class model
maybe you should look into togethersoft's whiteboard (their demo
version).  It's free of charge for life but is pretty useful for class
modelling. It also has C++ and Java code generation support (I only used
java so I can't comment on C++).

with best regards,
Taimoor.