List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Re: NSUML, argo/UML, GNUML, KUML, and Basil...
From:       Chris Moore <zmower () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2000-09-21 21:14:33

"Riehl, Jonathan (Jonathan)" wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>         I had done something similar to what you have done using the IDL
> to Python feature of omniORB.  It seemed to me to be too complex at
> the time to build a MOF compliant CORBA server.

The MOF spec makes my head ache.  The Reflective module implementation
looks like it could be, er, interesting.  Suspect I'll have to use the
CORBA DSI or IR.

> I wanted to get cranking
> with XMI and other modeling support.  I suppose I will circle around
> to CORBA sooner or latter, but to me the distributed network stuff isn't
> so important as the interface definition.

It's not only the network transparency that makes CORBA attractive to me
(in fact the distributed garbage collection is a complete pain);
it's the language transparency.  You should be able to use the
freeCASE repository from any language with a CORBA binding.

>         I was talking about using an XML library for XMI support.  Basil
> currently supports XML and XMI through a Python wrapper to expat.  The
> generation isn't so much an issue as just being able to read it back
> in.  If I translate to C++, then I will need a comparable library.

Still don't see how Qt/Gtk fit in here.

Chris Moore

--
Sig pending!