List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Re: configuration files
From:       Darius Stachow <dstachow () ngi ! de>
Date:       2000-08-30 12:17:43

Hi Wolfgang,

On Mit, 30 Aug 2000, you wrote:
>Darius Stachow wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> is there somebody who is familir with the autoconf package and can assist
>> in modifying the configuration files in order to make them support
>> different linux distributions. What means to recognize the KDE2
>> installation and to set the correct paths to the header files and libs.
>> Another way could be to add a new parameter for setting the kde2 path
>> (--with-kde-dir=) to the configure scripts.
>
>Oh, here I see two possibilities:
>1) what you suggest
>2) you can look for includes using automake => name an include which
>exsists in kde2 but   not in kde, check for this include, and you know
>which kde is in the include path. This would assume that your user has
>set the right path for the kde dev environment.
>
>> Help is very welcome as I don't have an idea (and the time) how to do
>> this.
>
>Automake is tricky (I do some phenomenological programming ;-) ), but I
>think you go depressive if you maintain a package without knowing at
>least a bit of automake (IMHO).
I use kDevelop as frontend for this ;-)

I've taken a look at the autoconf package documentation and I've tried to fix
the problem but than I've come to conclusion it would last too long to learn
this stuff. I have only 4 weeks left of my semester vacation left and there
are a lot of other things I have to do. Not only working on kuml but also
writing an article for kSourcer.org. The article should be finished since
some weeks now but I still haven't found the time to complete it. As I have
made a promision I want to keep it.

Maybe the fixing of the problem is very easy. I don't know. I can't estimate
this as I don't know how these configuration files work in detail and what
kind of language is used.

>How much time have you got? I maybe could sacrifice half a day in three
>weeks (I vowed not to do any programming during holidays ;-)  ).
>Presently I haven't installed KDE2, so this would have to happen first.
There is no countdown or something. But sooner or later it would be fine if
this problem could be fixed. It works for the contributing developer but I
think a normal user who just wants to look at kuml shouldn't have the need to
do some work arounds to get the sources buildable.

Bye
Darius