List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Re: kuml_old persistence layer
From:       Gerard Flynn <gerard.flynn () free ! fr>
Date:       2002-03-03 11:38:19

Gerard Flynn wrote:

> Chris Moore wrote:
>
>> Gerard Flynn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  In case anyone wants to play with the persistence layer stuff in
>>> kuml_old, I just checked in my changes to get it to compile.
>>>
>>>  You need to define a macro to actually compile the code, I do this by
>>> doing:
>>>
>>> $ make "CXXFLAGS=-DEXPERIMENTAL_PERSISTENCE_LAYER -DKDE2".
>>>
>>>  I tagged the current CVS version of kuml_old (including my changes)
>>> with VER_0_5_2.
>>>
>>>  Gerard
>>>

>> bash-2.05a$ make -f Makefile.dist
>> aclocal
>> autoheader
>> automake
>> kuml/data/persistence/Makefile.am:14: required directory
>> kuml/data/persistence/factories does not exist
>> make: *** [all] Error 1
>>
>> The configure goes OK.  The make fails cause of the missing dir.
>>
>    Sorry, I forgot to add that directory to CVS.  I'll fix that right
> away.
>
>  Gerard

    Done, I think it should compile now.

    By the way I'm not sure that compiling this code actually makes
sense, I just wanted to see what it does.  After a little more
investigation I came to understand that there are actually 2 persistence
layers in kuml_old.  There's a non-XML layer which you theoretically get
without the above define.  However it's actual use has been commented
out, presumably because it doesn't work.  Then there's the so called
experimental  layer which this define should give you.

  However it seems that in the current CVS version (after my mods), what
happens is that if you give the EXPERIMENTAL define the program attempts
to use the XML layer for loading but still uses the non-XML layer for
saving.  This largely explains why you can't load saved diagrams,
they're not in the right format.

    If you don't give the EXP. define, then you currently just get
pop-up errors if you try to save or load.  If you then comment out these
pop-ups, the save happens in the same way as with the EXP flag but the
load just hangs (presumably the reason Darius put in the pop-ups).

    So as you can see, things are definitely a bit of a mess right now !

    Now the question is, if we want to get kUML saving/restoring with a
simple format, which of the 2 should we try to resurrect ?  My
impression is that the XML layer attempts to do so something like XMI
and is largely unfinished.  It might be better to leave this for the
repository and just to try to get the non-XML layer into a usable state.

    If any of those who worked on kuml_old (especially Darius) are
listening and could help clarify this situation, their advice would
certainly be appreciated.

  Gerard