List:       kde-kuml
Subject:    Importing C++ into kuml / autoplacement
From:       Dan Kegel <dank () alumni ! caltech ! edu>
Date:       2000-03-05 6:20:00

Jake Fear wrote:
> > p_george wrote:
> > > If you can give an algorithm for that, I will implement it. I only know
> > > AI to achieve a good placement.
> This problem is similar to "decluttering" map symbols which is a well
> studied problem.  You might look for related articles to find more
> information.

What I'm really after is making importing from C++ a more pleasant
experience.  Here's an easy first step: kuml could source into a library of
class symbols rather than into a UML diagram.  Then the user could
pick classes and add them to his diagram as desired, rather than
untangling the mess of classes created by the current import.

Once this is working, you could then make it a little more automatic
by adding a "autoplace a class" button, which would choose the "biggest"
remaining class, and place it such that the length of the lines connecting
it to anything was minimal.  The user could then adjust the
position of all the classes, and when he was happy, repeat
the process to add one more class.

Either of these might be a more pleasant experience for the user than
the current result of doing an import.

- Dan