List:       kde-kuml
Subject:    Fwd: Potential assistance
From:       Darius Stachow <shiva () dialup ! nacamar ! de>
Date:       1999-11-09 12:27:30

Hi !!

Subject: Potential assistance
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 23:41:23 -0600
From: root <root@vadar.swbell.net>

Hi Darius,

I read about your KUML project and have some interest in helping. I have used
many of the commercial UML tools and always found them lacking (e.g. Rational
Rose, TogetherJ, etc.) I have seen interesting features in each of the
commercial products but have not found one product with all the essential
pieces. The feature that most interests me is rendering the model in HTML.
TogetherJ does a fair job of HTML output for small models but doesn't scale
well when you get significant sized models (e.g. > 100 classes). Also I know of
no modeling tool which has a command line interface to HTML generation. The
way I would like to use a UML tool is to run it against the code base in a
nightly cron job so it keeps the UML webpages in sync with the source tree
(similar to javadoc or doc++). I realize not all diagram types can be supported
by this scheme as many diagram types cannot be reverse engineered from the
code base. Still, I think a web-based class/object hierarchy diagram would be
most useful for many open source projects which people collaborate over the
web.

Thanks,
Greg Griffing

Any comments ?