List:       kde-krn-devel
Subject:    Re: License change
From:       Magnus Reftel <d96reftl () dtek ! chalmers ! se>
Date:       1997-11-12 11:09:13

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Stefan Taferner wrote:

> At 18:17 11.11.1997 -0300, you wrote:
> >If I get affirmative mails from these persons, I will do it.
> >If you want a reason, look at the latest "GNU bulletin" at www.gnu.org.
> >I am really tired of the stupid religious fanatism of this people.
> Then we will have to take Krn out of all Linux distributions that only
> want to contain GPLed code.

How many can there be? Even Debian accepts BSD licenses.

> I understand your emotions, but think about it. This makes more troubles
> than it does good.
> We have to either switch the whole Kde or stick all with one license.
> IMO it is a real problem to have different licensing schemes bundled
> in the base distribution.

It seams like we have to switch the whole KDE anyway. As long as there is
no free QT, it's illegal to use QT in a GPLed program.
Is the GPL released under the GPL, or is it in the public domain? If we
are allowed to reuse it, we could write a special KDE license, just
adding a statement to the GPL that says that it's OK to for the program to
use libraries that come with source code, even if their licenses forbid
altering of the source.

Regards
Magnus

/* Magnus Reftel